You might think this article sounds crazy. I mean, why would a newly married bride or groom flirt with the wedding officiant? Well, folks, it does happen and more than you think. In fact, it’s not just the bride and groom who are trying to score a little side action; the entire wedding party sometimes seems to get a case of horny toad syndrome. Dr. John Patrick Keefe II, a wedding officiant in Oklahoma City, says that he experiences this phenomenon of hormonal wedding goers all of the time. So how does a wedding minister handle these shenanigans?
It may seem flattering when an attractive man or woman hits on you, but alas, if it is the bride, groom, or any other married party goer, you’ll need to check your morality card. Many wedding officiants, like John Keefe, are also married so when a bridal party member starts giving them “the look” they need to shut that craziness down right away.
As a wedding officiant, you are in attendance to do a job, so there is also the issue of hooking up with one of your clients. In many professions, fraternization is frowned upon. This goes for whether you or they are married or not. Truthfully, as a wedding minister in OKC, you aren’t at the wedding to find a date, you’re there to perform a service.
Here are a few ways you can politely turn down a horny bride or groom who has their eyes on you:
- Give them a bashful giggle and a side smile while saying, “Oh stop! You’re making me blush!”
- Casually tell them that you’re married and so are they, but if you were both single, you’d be on that like white on rice.
- Politely tell them that even though you are delightfully flattered, you must decline the invitation because you do not mix business with pleasure.
- Tell them to hold that thought and then sneakily slip out the back door.
- Have your significant other come to the wedding with you so you can avoid this tomfoolery altogether.
Your goal isn’t to offend a bride or groom or other bridal party member that is hitting on you, but you must set some clear boundaries, so things don’t get out of hand. Things can really get crazy at the wedding reception when alcohol becomes a factor. If you don’t make it clear that you aren’t interested right off the bat, a few drinks in a horny person’s system can really make them act wild and free. It would be very hard to explain a drunk bride hanging all over you to her new husband and your wife.
In my opinion, prevention is the best key. Always wear your wedding ring, talk about your family, mention your deep love and commitment for your spouse. Someone who doesn’t want to be pursued won’t be. If you don’t want to be looked upon as a fresh cut of meat, don’t put yourself on the market.